Friday 16 February 2018

The Odd Question on the "Soul" that We Need to Ask

How are you today? Okay? Fine? Those are some of the obvious answers, right? Well, How Is Your Soul? What if I asked you that? Catches you off guard..You would probably give me a weird look and maybe even ask " What do you mean 'How is my soul?" This is some question! One that you would need to think through before you answered; probably something that you would think about throughout the day. This topic has actually been inspired by Judah Smith's book "How's Your Soul ?". The author was inspired to write it after he experienced loss in his life and had to question the state of his own soul. Hence forth, he started asking people about the state of their soul; rather than, "How are you?", he  would ask "How is your soul?"

In an interview, he said that people actually followed through that question and even confessed that they were actually not doing alright. Sometimes people will ask the obvious of "how are you" with no real intentions of knowing how someone is really doing. It can become just a simple greeting. But what if someone were to respond that they are not okay, are we ready for such responses?

Speaking of souls, the writer of Psalms 43, also questions his own soul; "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God." I do that sometimes. He is actually encouraging himself in the Lord.  The question of our soul is one that causes us to think deeper into our own lives; the state of our livelihood; how are we really doing? How are we with God? Yesterday I listened to a poem, "The woman behind the mask." It is not a mere "How are you?" But really, how are you doing? How is your soul? Who is God to you and What does He have to do with your soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment