Friday 1 December 2017

The Gift of Life



I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustained me. Psalms 3:5
Such a powerful statement, you would agree. Short and precise, but with so much weight. I actually read this yesterday and I have probably read it before. I agreed with it, yes, but it did not really have much effect on me like it did this morning. "I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustained me." Think about these words and reread that verse. It probably is something that some of us do not give much thought to each morning. Life is a gift from God. I think at some point we get used to sleeping and waking up like it is given. We  probably don't give much thought to it, until maybe, something that we do not like to talk about; death, occurs. 

I would like to say that God is always the first thing that comes to mind when I wake up, but it's not. Sometimes, maybe even more times than I would like, I wake up thinking about all the things that I have to do for the rest of the day. I do take life for granted too sometimes, I should not. We do not wake up by luck; because today we were lucky it was not our day. God sustains us. We do not wake up because we live a healthier lifestyle than others, well it does contribute and that is our responsibility, however, it is all because of the mercies of the Lord. The Lord sustains us. There are probably people who did better than we did, lived better than we did, but they are not here with us. We are alive today, because of the abundant grace of the Lord and for a reason. 

God has placed a purpose in our lives and as long as we are alive, there is reason and that purpose still lives. The writer of the book of Psalms asks God to remind him of the short life that he has.
Lord, make me to know my end and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am... Psalms 39: 4,5 So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalms 90:9-12
Man's days on earth are numbered and short, any additional days are just but a gift from God. One more reason to Thank God and regard His ways, because He is the one that sustains life. Even so death is not the end; because just as He sustains us here on earth, He has also given us the gift of eternal life attained by believing in and accepting His Son, Jesus Christ, as our Saviour; Salvation

No comments:

Post a Comment